Part time Contract available for 2018-2019 school year:
FRIENDLY GARDEN SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATOR
Blackshear Bridge a 501c3 nonprofit organization — whose mission is to create and maintain diverse and sustainable communities in central east Austin – seeks to contract with a Friendly Garden Sustainability Educator with primary responsibility for delivering sixteen (16) Enrichment Time lessons at The Friendly R. Rice Garden at Austin ISD’s Blackshear Elementary Fine Arts Academy during the 2018-2019 school year.
Friendly Garden Sustainability Educator will draw on the Blackshear Bridge Inch by Inch: Putting the Garden in Kindergarten curriculum collection including partner group lessons to deliver 16 Enrichment Time classes on the following topics:
- Growing and eating healthy, local organic food;
- Reducing waste, reusing and recycling resources to avoid increasing landfills and keeping the environment – water, air, soil and lands pollution-free;
- Capturing rainwater, controlling water waste, and using efficient agricultural watering and mulching to conserve water;
- Promoting biodiversity by planting and stewarding wildlife habitat including native pollinator gardens and native trees;
- Staying healthy, self-confident, and happy through healthy meeting, active movement, breathing, singing, cooperating, and mindfulness practices.
The Educator will query the students’ learning experience with a pre- and post-art piece illustrating what they know about these topics before and what they learned after.
The Educator will report verbally or via email to the Blackshear Bridge Director or Programs Coordinator during the training and class weeks and will be paid by the Director or Treasurer approximately bi-weekly based on training and class dates.
Experience, skills and interest in organizing and delivering outdoors education for Kindergarten through 3rd grade children in a public-school setting. Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following or a related field: Education, Social Work, Counseling, Sustainability, Environmental Science, or Agriculture. Diplomatic and cooperative in working with other educators and garden collaborators. Ability to navigate school and garden processes and follow all school and Blackshear Bridge guidelines. Experience and skills in sustainability practices in your own life. Self-motivated and consistently reliable. Ability to pass an AISD background check to work with minors.
Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following or a related field: Environmental Science or Sustainability, Agriculture or Botany, Education, Health, Nutrition, Counseling, or Art. Bilingual in Spanish and English, permaculture certification or experience. Passionate and creative enjoyment of contributing to the art of outdoors education. Women, people of the global majority (sometimes called “minorities”), LGBTQ, young or older people, PTA parents and residents of the Blackshear-Prospect Hill Neighborhood are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOURS & COMPENSATION
This is a part-time contract that offers $20/hour for 3 teaching hours on 13-16 Enrichment Time Fridays plus a scholarship (ie free to The Educator) for training and a stipend for training hours at $10/hour.
Friendly Garden Sustainability Educator must be available on the following dates:
- Orientation & Blackshear Bridge Training: 4 hours to be determined during week of Sept. 10-14.
- Train: Sept. 15 & 22, 2:00-5:00 PM, Sept. 18 & 19, 6:00-8:00 PM, Oct. 23 & 24, 6:00-8:00 PM.
- Teach: Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19, Nov. 2, 9, 16. (Fridays – 1:30 Prep, 2:30 Class, 3:30 Clean-up/Follow-through.)
- Teach: 8 more Fridays in the Spring, dates to be determined.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, a short letter expressing your interest and outlining your experience, plus emails or phone numbers for three references. Thank you.
Job posted 8-13-2018. Open until filled.